The Cubbon Park of Bangalore has a history of more than 100 years. It has been a part of Bangalore’s landscape since 1870. The then Chief Engineer of the state of Mysore, Richard Sankey, conceived the vast landscape of the Cubbon Park, way back in 1864. The park was initially called as Meade’s park , but was subsequently named as Cubbon Park, after Sir Mark Cubbon, who had the distinction of being the longest serving Commissioner of Bangalore. In the year 1927 the park was officially named as ‘Sri Chamrajendra Park’ to commemorate the silver jubilee of the rule of Sri Krishnaraj Wodeyar in the Mysore state. But popularity of Cubbon Park stayed on.
The park was designed for the public and its verdant greenery is spread across a vast area of 250 acres. There are a few buildings in the park that house some organizations’ offices. There are well laid paths throughout the park, which are some of the favourite spots for the joggers and the morning walkers. The park is also popular among the naturalists, who prefer studying the plants in their own environment. Rose garden, toy train, a newly opened doll museum and an aquarium are some of the attractive features of the park, which makes it a favourite among the children and also the children among all of us. Here one can play badminton or soccer or climb the natural rocks. The central garden in the park has an open stage, where concerts are held.
The park houses some excellent statues also. The statue of Queen Victoria was installed in 1906 and the statue of King Edward VII was installed in 1919. It also has the statues of Major Gen.Sir Mark Cubbon, Rajya Dhurandhar, Sri. K. Sheshadri Iyer, and Sri Chamrajendra Wodeyar.
The park is rich with exotic as well as indigenous botanical species, having nearly 96 species and 68 genera; a total of 6000 plants growing in the premises. The park is well maintained over the years with scientific and technical development plans. The indigenous species in the park include Artocarpus, Polyalthias, Ficus and Cassia fistula among others, while the exotic species include Bamboo, Milletia, Swietenina mahagoni, Tabebuia sp., Grevillea robusta, Peltophorum Schinus molle, Araucaria, and Castanospermum australe.
There are many flowering and ornamental trees also. The Cubbon Park has a Grevillea robusta (silver oak) which is the first oak tree to be introduced in Bangalore, imported from Australia.
The Cubbon Park is located in the middle of the city and can be accessed easily from M.G.Road, Hudson Circle and Ambedkar Veedhi. The park is open to public at all times, though vehicular traffic is barred between 5.00 am to 8.00 am, on all days. The park conducts regular Dancing Musical Fountain shows. Visveswaraya Industrial and Technological Museum, the High Court and the Vidhana Soudha are some of the attractions of Bangalore, located in the vicinity of the park.
India for you brings complete information and guide for India Tours.
Last Updated On: 2011/07/11